httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: [STATUS] Sat Apr 19 21:05:18 PDT 1997
Date Mon, 21 Apr 1997 02:20:17 GMT
> On Sun, 20 Apr 1997, Randy Terbush wrote:
> > >   * Listen and serialization problem should at least be documented,
> > >     perhaps solved.  See
> > >     <Pine.LNX.3.95dg3.970418205548.14942C-100000@twinlark.arctic.org>
> > >     Possibly related PR#s: 361, 299, 256
> >
> > Serialization of the server on FreeBSD 2.2 has _reduced_ the amount
> > of swap growth mainly through reduction of processes. I do think
> > that some children are getting buried by being left in a queue
> > state that does not allow them to accept.
>
> I've asked the submitter of 361 if USE_FCNTL_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT helps them.
> They say they get a hang every 24 hours so I should know something tomorrow.

FWIW - FreeBSD needs USE_FLOCK_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT if you try it.

> Memory leaks -- you might want to try my graceful restart take 4.

I'm running it. What I am seeing is a little different than just
process size growth. Some children seem to get in a state where
they never accept a connection. The process gets swapped out and
another created in its place. Eventually, I have lots of inactive
children that just consume swap. Sending a HUP to the server will
clean things up and reduce the swap usage by over 100MB. I'm
running around 50 separate server parents on a single server.
If I were to speculate, it seems that resources used by children
that are killed off do not get freed.

> > >   * SEGV under FreeBSD with lingering_close [and proxy?]
> > > 	Randy hasn't seen any coredumps in the last 24 hours.
> >
> > Still no problems in this area.
>
> I forget what fixed it.  Is it something we need to doc, or just close
> this out?

My problems were caused by a PHP problem that Rasmus has fixed.