httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: Broken API / per-dir config create (was: Re: mod_rewrite and per-dir
Date Sun, 13 Apr 1997 14:19:35 GMT

In article <97041308332095@decus.org> you wrote:
> From the fingers of Ralf S. Engelschall flowed the following:
> >
> >The problem is not a subrequest, the problem is the per-dir walk to .htaccess
> >files and the fact that when a .htaccess file is found, the mod_rewrite
> >per-dir config create function gets called (ok up to this point), but always
> >with the second argument as NULL (not ok). The second argument to the per-dir
> >config create functions should be supply the directory name according to the
> >API.

>     I'm unable to reproduce this at all using a different module and
>     1.2b9-dev.  This would seem to have such an incredibly serious
>     impact on all 1.2b8 servers that I'm sure we would have heard about
>     it by now; it would break just about all of the directory processing.

>     Has anyone else been able to make this happen?  With mod_rewrite or
>     any other module?  Ralf, are you absolutely sure your server is
>     vanilla 1.2b8 in all other respects?

It is 1.2b8 plus the three mod_proxy patches. And it happens here at two
machines: my webserver (en3) and my developing machine (en1). You can test
it as follows: Just take any homedir of a user and insert something like

   Options FollowSymLinks
   RewriteEngine on
   RewriteRule ^FOO$ BAR [R]

and then request http://thismachine/~thisuser/FOO. It should redirect to
http://thismachine/~thisuser/BAR. But it doesn't.  When you insert a line
   fprintf(stderr, "config_perdir_create path=%s", path);
into the function config_perdir_create() in mod_rewrite.c.  Now I always get
path=(null) under my FreeBSD box when the htaccess file gets parsed.

Hmmmm... I cannot 100% say that this problem is not related to some other
configuration things, because I use a very special httpd.conf file. BUT: At
least two other users have reported the same problems with rewrite rules
under 1.2b8. I think the reason why we have not seen more reports is that

1. mod_rewrite is the only module which actually is based on this
   API-information
2. Apache 1.2b8 is out one week now, so still not tested in depth
   by a lot of webmasters
3. Most of the mod_rewrite users are using per-server rewrite rules
   (in any way better), so not much have discovered the problems.

But I and at least two different other guys have seen the problems on their
servers....

Greetings,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com