httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: general/232: Apache 1.2b7/b8-dev causes Netscape to display some jpeg's as broken images (fwd)
Date Mon, 07 Apr 1997 06:46:12 GMT

In article <Pine.BSF.3.95.970406190339.23835W-100000@alive.znep.com> you wrote:

> Ok, so who wants to whine to Netscape this time about their lame browser?

> To summarize, the problem:

> Connect to a server that says it is:

>   Server: Apache/1.2b8-dev mod_perl/0.94

> Try to download certain images.  Navigator and Communicator both choke.
> See http://www.enews.com/graphics/covers/arthritis.jpg as an example.  If
> you copy it to a local server without the mod_perl bit in the server name
> it will display fine.  If you then add the mod_perl bit it breaks.  I
> don't know anyone particularily involved in this aspect, although I could
> probably get someone who could get it to the right place...
>
>---
>  Wow.  Amazing.  Astounding.
>
>  Looks like a bug in Netscape, both 3.x and 4.0b2 under Unix.  If I add a:
>
>   #define SERVER_SUBVERSION "mod_perl/0.94"
>
>  to my httpd.h I can reproduce it easily.  Changing SERVER_SUBVERSION to
>  "h" made things work, so perhaps it is the / causing problems.
>
>  So, a workaround should be to remove however mod_perl adds the mod_perl
>  bit to the server name.  A fix is to beat Netscape over the head until
>  they fix it.  Quite an odd problem.

I've tested it with my current server which identifies itself as

   Server: Apache/1.2b8-dev w3s/2.0.1

(i.e. a slash in the name as in mod_perl/0.94) and it works for me. At least
with Netscape 3.01 which I run. The slash is not the problem, I think.
Hmmmm... interesting.

Greetings,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com