httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: FYI - coredumps on FreeBSD
Date Sun, 06 Apr 1997 21:09:15 GMT
> On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Rob Hartill wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Randy Terbush wrote:
> >
> > > Chuck, Dirk and I had reported that we were seeing some odd SEGV
> > > problems that seemed to be associated with a call to
> > > lingering_close. I seem to have tracked down the problem as being
> > > caused by the server being linked with libraries that had not been
> > > compiled with FD_SETSIZE=1024 as my kernels and the rest of the
> > > servers have.
> >
> > What does that mean to your average FreeBSD user (like me) ?
> >
> > Building a new kernel sounds extreme.
>
> It means don't play with FD_SETSIZE on 2.1.x period.  The magic is bad on
> 2.1; anything compiled with FD_SETSIZE set to the default of 256 can break
> when you try to hack FD_SETSIZE for specific applications.  To increase it
> above than 256, you have to essentially change it and do a make world.
>
> In 2.2, you can set it while compiling applications (like Apache) and the
> libraries and kernel _should_ play nicely.

FWIW - I _am_ on 2.2. Things don't appear to play any nicer on 2.2
WRT FD_SETSIZE than on 2.1. Overall, the changes seem to be a win.
2.2 also seems to handle the load a little better.

The moral of the story though (as Marc pointed out) is that if you
don't tweak these numbers in the kernel, you probably won't run
into problems. (Until you run out of file descriptors..)