httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <>
Subject Apache Server (fwd)
Date Thu, 20 Mar 1997 21:09:59 GMT

Rob Hartill   Internet Movie Database (Ltd) -  hype free Oscars (R) info.     -  Win a 56k X2 modem. Free draw.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 12:04:29 -0500
From: John Taylor <>
Subject: Apache Server

I know this must be a FAQ, but I have not found the answer anywhere...
And I posted my question to comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix and never got
a reply.

If I decide to use Apache 1.1.3 (I'd upgrade to 1.2.x if the functionality I
need is there), and Netscape Navigator 3.01 as my client, is it possible to
use MD5 mod_digest for authentication for this client/server combo?  I keep
getting an error about the client using the wrong authentication type.
Also, does anyone have a list of supported clients for this module? Possibly
MS Explorer?

Also, I am assuming that (most) MD5 clients would encrypt the password
before they transmit it over the network.  I am trying to use an
authentication method (w/ Apache) that does not send clear text or uuencoded
passwords over the network.

John Taylor

Institute of Government, 706/542-2736

View raw message