httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: Last-modified/Modified-Since thru CGI's
Date Mon, 17 Mar 1997 23:27:31 GMT
On Mon, 17 Mar 1997, Jason S. Clary wrote:

> I've got an odd situation here.  Its a CGI that needs to control an
> entire directory tree.  I've Aliased /catalog to the cgi that handles
> it and everything works great..  /catalog redirects to /catalog/ which
> displays
> a list of items, and certain sub-dirs to special things.  The problem is
> I can't find a way to access Modified-Since: headers from the client
> without hacking the mod_cgi code.
>
> Maybe someone else has figured out a way, or maybe its been added
> to the 1.2 series (I still haven't upgraded because I'm waiting for the
> code-base to stabalize before I add all my modifications)

Be sure you send a "Last-Modified" in a previous response before looking
for a new "If-Modified-Since" header coming from a client.

> a bunch of stuff EVERY time someone hits the page.
>
> I'm not sure if this is possible.. its been awhile since I've read the HTTP
> spec but I seem to recall a different return code, so mod_cgi would have
> to look for a special header w/ immediate close in order to send the
> proper response code so the browser doesn't choke.
>
> Just wondering.. it seems some CGI's can, and should, be smart enough to
> say if the code they are about to generate needs to be generated again.

I used to do this ages ago (at LANL) and I think the code still works
there under 1.2, so it is possible and it should work.

--
Rob Hartill   Internet Movie Database (Ltd)
http://us.imdb.com/Oscars/oscars_1996 -  hype free Oscars (R) info.