httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: [STATUS]
Date Sat, 15 Mar 1997 23:36:15 GMT

On Sat, 15 Mar 1997, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> >    * Ralf's [SYNC] mod_rewrite
> >	<199703151318.OAA27381@en1.engelschall.com>
>
>     Doesn't this fix the following (from the "No patches yet" section)?

I believe so, noted.

> >Showstoppers with no patches yet:
> >
> >  * SIGHUP on Solaris 2.x causes server to die with "bind: Address
> >    already in use" and "httpd: could not bind to address 131.188.2.47
> >    port 80".  Server is Listen-ing on four IP addresses at port 80;
> >    the one above is the last Listen directive.  Three virtual hosts
> >    declared as well as main/default server.
> >    (no PR#, 1.2b7, 24/2/1997, <Erich.Meier@informatik.uni-erlangen.de>)
> >      - was also reported by same user against 1.2b4
> >      - and reported on linux as well, has to do with proxy maybe (Aram)
>
>     And wasn't this one fixed by Randy's patch of 7/3/1997 (message ID
>     <199703072004.OAA14897@sierra.zyzzyva.com>) which clears memory for
>     Listen directives?  (Committed on 10/3/1997.)

I couldn't reproduce the original problem but I think the patch does fix
it as well.  I'll write the reporter and see what they say.

> >No patches yet:
> >
> >  * With no limits on <Directory />, a UserDir of "./" allows "~root/"
> >    to walk down the entire filesystem.
> >    (no PR#, 1.1.3, 21/2/1997, "Michael Douglass" <mikedoug@texas.net>)
> >      - "don't do that", but should probably be noted in the UserDir
> >	documentation and the Security Tips page.  That the default
> >	access is "if the server can reach it, it can serve it" should
> >	definitely be noted.  (<Directory> description and security
> >	tips?)
> >      - perhaps a future DisallowUserDir directive, a la ftp.deny,
> >	listing usernames not accessible through ~name?
>
>     I'll try to come up with a doc patch as per the first section.  The
>     second is definitely a feature, what?

Moving the second part to the feature section.

> >  * mod_include is still slow.
>
>     I recall a discussion a couple-three weeks ago about this; seems to
>     me that someone came up with some changes that made 1.2bn faster
>     than 1.1 in this area.  I'll see if I can find the discussion.

There's a few more possible speedups, but not likely to happen soon.  I
updated the comment.

> >  * Dean's gif89 and expires hack
> >    <Pine.LNX.3.95dg2.970310005317.427P-100000@twinlark.arctic.org>
>
>     Would a change to mod_expires to allow "Expires{Default,ByType} none"
>     (in essence, saying "don't emit an Expires: header") be considered a
>     feature or a bug fix?

Feature, definately feature... but at any rate this isn't sufficient to
protect from the problem my hack patch deals with.  Well I mean sure you
could not send Expires for all gifs but that's not the best for performance.

Dean