httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <>
Subject Re: [BUG]: "server restart fails when virtual host name lookup fails" on SunOS 4.x (fwd)
Date Fri, 07 Mar 1997 22:14:32 GMT
You're right it would be nice if we continued after a DNS failure.  But
we're unlikely to get this into 1.2 (I'll look, but the change might not
be a tiny one).  The server requires certain things, such as the
ServerName, and the ip address that it will serve on (for each vhost).  If
it doesn't have either then it has to use DNS.  We're probably going to
put some suggestions in the manual that best results are achieved if you
always put ip addresses in the <VirtualHost> directive, and you always
include a ServerName in each vhost section.

Thanks for using Apache.

On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, Rob Hartill wrote:

> no acked. Dean proabably has a better suggestion for them

View raw message