httpd-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: [BUG]: "gethostbyname gets broken for some versions of FreeBSD" on FreeBSD (fwd)
Date Thu, 06 Mar 1997 21:40:12 GMT
I've asked the submitter to compile with -g and gdb the core file and
submit the stack trace. 

Dean

On Thu, 6 Mar 1997, Dirk.vanGulik wrote:

> > From new-httpd-owner@apache.org Thu Mar  6 09:55:01 1997
> > Delivered-To: new-httpd@qmail.hyperreal.com
> > Mbox-Line: From new-httpd-owner@apache.org  Wed Mar  5 23:53:55 1997
> > Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 00:06:23 -0800 (PST)
> > From: Dean Gaudet <dgaudet@arctic.org>
> > To: john@starfire.mn.org
> 
> I've tried quite a few things, both onFreeBSD-current and stable; and 
> I am getting the feeling we are trying to catch a ghost. I just cannot
> reproduce it on a sane setup. Even if I nuke DNS, or if I fiddle
> with the hostname/ifconfig ep0 addresses I keep getting reasonable
> sensible error messages.
> 
> Dw.
> 
> > I know it sounds obvious, but can you ping or telnet to the ServerName
> > while logged into the webserver? 
> > 
> > I've included a patch against 1.2b7 which uses herror() to display more
> > info about why it failed in any of the cases where the server does
> > namelookups and exits on failure... it might help. 
> > 
> > Dean
> > 
> > On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Rob Hartill wrote:
> > 
> > > 
> > > not acked.
> > > 
> > > ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> > > Date: Mon Mar  3 21:05:58 1997
> > > From: john@starfire.mn.org
> > > To: apache-bugs%apache.org@organic.com
> > > Subject: [BUG]: "gethostbyname gets broken for some versions of FreeBSD" on
FreeBSD
> > > 
> > > Submitter: john@starfire.mn.org
> > > Operating system: FreeBSD, version: 2.1.6/7
> > > Version of Apache Used: 1.2b7
> > > Extra Modules used: 
> > > URL exhibiting problem: 
> > > 
> > > Symptoms:
> > > --
> > > Using either your "out-of-the-box" distribution, or after having
> > > been patched through the FreeBSD-current ports support, the
> > > gethostbyname at line 1453 of http_main.c returns a NULL, even
> > > though the s->server_hostname appears correct, causing the program
> > > to report "httpd: cannot determine the IP address of
> > > the specified ServerName (workbench1.skypoint.net)" even though
> > > that name is perfectly resolvable.  Look, I
> > > know this sounds bizarre, and I wouldn't know how to cause it
> > > if I wanted to, but I'm just reporting what I'm seeing!
> > > 1.1.1 does not have this problem.  I'm just trying
> > > --
> > > 
> > > Backtrace:
> > > --
> > > 
> > > --
> > > 
> > > 
> > > 
> 
> 


Mime
View raw message