httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: [BUG]: "segv attempting to run some cgis" on OTHER:qnx
Date Sun, 02 Mar 1997 21:59:33 GMT
On Sun, 2 Mar 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
> ...and AIX and Solaris and SunOS and IRIX.  So should wherever we
> call create_argv, like:
>
>             execv(r->filename, create_argv(r, argv0, r->args, NULL));
>
> be changed to something like:
>
>             execv(r->filename, create_argv(r, argv0, r->args, (void *)NULL));
>
> ?  It works as it is, but is that just the compiler being smarter than it
> has to?  I know I have C books somewhere that warn against using NULL
> without casting in this situation...

Ah yes you're right, I forgot about the unprototyped case.  This could
be a problem on QNX if they're running the 16-bit QNX in any of the
large data models where pointers are 32-bits and ints are 16-bits.
QNX uses WATCOM's C compiler, which I'm quite familiar with having
worked there... at any rate the def'n of NULL changed several times
over the years and I'm not sure if it's ((void*)0) or just (0) now.
The whole problem is compounded on the 286 by "near" and "far" pointers.
(And also on the 386, but everyone just uses the flat memory model with
near pointers.)

Dean