httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: [BUG NOT]
Date Thu, 27 Mar 1997 18:31:23 GMT
On Thu, 27 Mar 1997, Randy Terbush wrote:

> Correct me if I am wrong, but this is expected behavior, no?

[...]

> 	We have only just noticed a problem, since instlaling the new
> server on the main port.  The server doesn't seem to understand that it
> only should look for extensions at the end.
>
> For instance, a file named "foo.cgi.txt" gets run as a cgi script, not
> handed off as text. I've got a surprising number of complaints (who'd have
> thunk it). Eeek!

Yeah, that's correct. Apache does look at extensions from left to
right, but in this case, the two extensions mean different
things. .cgi tells the server to use the CGI handler, .txt tells the
server to treat it as a text/plain document, unless the CGI overrides
it (most CGIs do).

The submitter may be used to the magic mime type method of CGI
scripts, where the .txt's text/plain would override the .cgi's
application/x-httpd-cgi, and the file would be served as plain
text. You can still do this with Apache if you use AddType instead of
AddHandler to activate CGI scripts.

It's just no longer reccomended.