httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Cookie draft for inspection (fwd)
Date Tue, 04 Mar 1997 02:45:53 GMT
On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> I know you don't have a lot of spare time in your life, but you might want to
> check out the most recent cookie draft.  I've got a bad feeling about it,
> mostly because they've decided to punt on existing implementations and go for a
> "Set-Cookie2" idea.  I don't know why, and don't have time to sift through why,
> but I fear the worst.

The main reason is that the RFC 2109 spec was designed to be
cross-compatible with Netscape's cookie spec, and it in fact works
that way with Navigator. However, it was discovered that IE's cookie
implementation did not function with the RFC 2109 cookies (although it
adhered to Netscape's spec). Some people expressed that perhaps a new
header should be created, to avoid all these problems.

This is still being discussed actively on http-wg, so I'd advise
anyone interested to go there. I personally have no interest in this,
but that's what I glean from reading the mail there in the last few
weeks.