httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Cookie draft for inspection (fwd)
Date Tue, 04 Mar 1997 02:42:43 GMT

I know you don't have a lot of spare time in your life, but you might want to
check out the most recent cookie draft.  I've got a bad feeling about it,
mostly because they've decided to punt on existing implementations and go for a
"Set-Cookie2" idea.  I don't know why, and don't have time to sift through why,
but I fear the worst.

	Brian

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 97 12:53:37 EST
From: Dave Kristol <dmk@research.bell-labs.com>
To: state@xent.w3.org
Cc: masinter@parc.xerox.com
Subject: draft for inspection

Please look at
	http://portal.research.bell-labs.com/~dmk/cookie-2.36-2.42.txt
	http://portal.research.bell-labs.com/~dmk/cookie-2.36-2.42.ps

It's a revision of RFC 2109 with the following changes:
    - Set-Cookie -> Set-Cookie2
    - Cookie -> Cookie2
    - add Discard (Nopersist)
    - removed compatibility sections on NS and MS
    - Cookie2 syntax:
	- only allow ',' between cookies
        - arbitrary Cookie2 a-v order
    - minor wording improvements (I think) here and there

I haven't yet submitted these as I-D's, but I would like to, subject to
your comments.

Although I haven't done so, I'm inclined to eliminate the '$' restriction
for attributes in Cookie2, because I changed the syntax to require ',' to
separate cookies, and I require the cookie NAME to be first in each such
cookie.

I would like your comments on what I've done and what I propose to do.
Thanks.

Dave