httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.com>
Subject AS/400 (fwd)
Date Wed, 12 Mar 1997 05:53:00 GMT

If someone wants to have a conversation, invite him to new-httpd, this
could be interesting.  :)

	Brian

brian@hyperreal.com     http://www.apache.org     http://www.organic.com/jobs

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 14:52:47 -0600 (CST)
From: Mike Mills <mikem@winternet.com>
To: new-httpd@hyperreal.com
Subject: AS/400

Hi,

I'm working on porting Apache to the AS/400, and wanted to check and
see if anyone else is working on such a port.

I also would like to comment on some of the portability issues that
have come up so far:

1. Filename lengths:  The AS/400 supports 10 character filenames.  For
   greatest compatibility, filenames should be restricted to 8 characters.

2. fork/exec paradigm:  The Apache code currently uses a fork() & exec()
   paradigm.  It seems somewhat dependent upon it:  for example,
   spawn_child_err() takes a function to call as an argument, which is only
   applicable to systems supporting fork().

   For more portable code, I would suggest the use of the POSIX function
   spawn().  spawn() can be easily emulated on non-POSIX systems through
   the use of fork() & exec().  Ie, get rid of the dependency of the
   seperation of fork() & exec().

   This appears to be the largest hurdle (so far) in porting Apache to
   the AS/400.  I'm not real familiar with the code yet, but it appears
   that a possible workaround might be to macro out the fork(), and
   replace the exec() calls with spawn().  The function that gets passed
   to spawn_child_err() would be called by the parent, and the environment
   then passed to the child.  But I haven't looked to see if this is correct,
   or whether this would overwrite the parent's environment.

Anyway, suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

--

Mike Mills                      Phone: (201) 843-3481 (home)
mikem@winternet.com                    (201) 828-3519 (work)