httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: bug stuff
Date Fri, 21 Mar 1997 05:19:25 GMT
On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Mar 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > We could direct them to an apache-users mailing list... one exists already
> > doesn't it?  Of course it is nice to hear the queries sometimes 'cause
> > they show bugs or difficulties in our config language.  I'm particularly
> > amazed when I get configs forwarded to me and I see how people actually
> > use this stuff... in ways that I'd never dreamed of ;)
>
> I thought we always had relied upon comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix as being
> the "Apache support forum"?  It would just eat bandwidth alive as a mailing
> list.

There used to be an apache-users mailing list.  Lesee...
apache-users@trytel.com; long dead now.  That was well before my time
(err... my time of having a clue that is, which isn't very long ago at
all...).

I don't think an Apache mailing list would hurt because:

	1. it would give the illusion of better support
	2. you tend to have more people step up and take a
	   better supporting "answer dumb questions" role
	   on mailing lists.
	3. It would provide a better bridge between the user community and
	   the development effort.  This is a big thing and I think is
	   important.  There are a lot of people who could help Apache
	   development a lot, but they get lost.  A public
	   apache-development list could help I guess.

I could probably host one here without any problems if resources are an
issue...