httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: Server-generated content-type?
Date Sat, 29 Mar 1997 13:47:54 GMT
>From the fingers of "Roy T. Fielding" flowed the following:
>
>Why don't you just set r->content_type?

    As I recall, I *did*, but it still got overridden.

>                                         The behavior is ancient, as far
>as I can tell, but it would be easy to add a check for an existing
>Content-Type before setting it to the default_type.

    Since three people consider this to be a bug (or at least
    misbehaviour), I'll come up with a patch that does this and the
    rest..

>>    I can't find any reference to this behaviour; is the server
>>    *supposed* to force "text/html" on all outbound server-generated
>>    content?
>
>Only if no r->content_type and the default type is "text/html".  It should
>say that in API.html, but doesn't.

    That's what I thought, but there's definitely something funky going
    on.  My default type is "text/plain", but it's getting set to
    "text/html" anyway.

    Okey, I'll see what I can come up with, including a patch to the
    dox.  Thanx for the clarification.

    #ken    :-)}