httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: Apache 1.2b7 / linux 2.0.29 (fwd)
Date Mon, 17 Mar 1997 11:20:18 GMT
>From the fingers of Dean Gaudet flowed the following:
>
>A whole bunch of these so-called "linux problems" are because the people
>run multiple servers with the same ScoreBoardFile.  At least that's what
>I've been discovering.  It would be nice to have some way to detect when
>two servers are trying to share the same file.

    Serious indeed; this really ought to be detected, as tou say, during
    config processing.

    Hmm.  Maybe adding a cell to the front of the file containing the
    PID of the master process?  When a new incarnation starts, it checks
    that cell, and if it finds it non-empty and a process with that PID
    still running, it dies with an error to stderr about "Can't share
    ScoreBoardFile; %s already in use by PID %d".  Otherwise it puts its
    own PID in before creating any children in order to declare
    ownership.

    Or maybe something with process groups (of which I've heard, but
    about which I know virtually nil) - but I doubt that's portable,
    somehow.

    #ken    :-)}