httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: config/234: REMOTE_IDENT not always available to mod_rewrite (fwd)
Date Sun, 16 Mar 1997 18:20:36 GMT
>From the fingers of Ralf S. Engelschall flowed the following:
>
>Because get_remote_logname() actually only calls rfc1413() if
>r->connection->remote_logname is not set, I've just replaced the
>get_remote_logname() call in mod_rewrite by the code segment
>
>    if (r->connection->remote_logname != NULL)
>        result = r->connection->remote_logname;
>    else
>        result = rfc1413(r->connection, r->server);

    Um..  get_remote_logname calls rfc1413() only if
    r->connection->remote_logname is NULL *and* if RFC1413 checking is
    supposed to be done.

    It looks like the above patch is going to cause mod_rewrite to call
    rfc1413() unconditionally, because you don't (and really can't)
    check for the presence of IdentityCheck the way get_remote_logname
    does.

    So mod_rewrite will incur the overhead of RFC1413 processing even if
    the server configuration doesn't call for it.  Or am I missing
    something?

    #ken    :-/}