httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: Putting modules in their own subdirectories
Date Fri, 07 Mar 1997 20:03:27 GMT
>From the fingers of Randy Terbush flowed the following:
>
>> 	There was some discussion about rearranging installation process
>> as to put every module in its own subdirectory.
>
>For the most part, I think this has been done. There is a bit of
>clunkyness which last I looked required mod_proxy to be compiled in
>order to get the compile to check the 'modules' subdirectory. Other
>than that, "it just works".

    I cannot confirm that (but it could be a brain fart or neuronic
    failure on my part).

    It looks as though the canonical way to add a module is to:

     1) create modules/foo
     2) put the necessary stuff there (including a Makefile)
     3) modify modules/Makefile to include "foo" in the MODULES
        definition
     4) run make from the Apache source directory

    Unfortunately, from looking at Configur* and Makefile.tmpl, it looks
    as though the *only* time step [4] will "(cd modules; make...)" is
    if "modules/proxy/libproxy.a" is requested (i.e., the "Module
    proxy_module" line is uncommented in Configuration).  In which case,
    *all* of the modules listed in modules/Makefile are built, not just
    the proxy.

    In other words, if you want modules/Makefile to be used to build
    the modules below there, you have to include the proxy module in
    your Configuration.  If you don't, the master Makefile assumes the
    files are already made, and will give errors if they're stale
    (because it will be in the wrong directory).

    Does anyone see any errors in this analysis?  I don't use the
    proxy, so I ran into it.  I'll see about putting together a patch to
    genericise this process, unless someone points out that my
    understanding is flawed. <g>

    #ken    :-/}