httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jason S. Clary" <jcl...@futurefx.com>
Subject Last-modified/Modified-Since thru CGI's
Date Tue, 18 Mar 1997 01:04:56 GMT

I've got an odd situation here.  Its a CGI that needs to control an
entire directory tree.  I've Aliased /catalog to the cgi that handles
it and everything works great..  /catalog redirects to /catalog/ which
displays
a list of items, and certain sub-dirs to special things.  The problem is
I can't find a way to access Modified-Since: headers from the client
without hacking the mod_cgi code.

Maybe someone else has figured out a way, or maybe its been added
to the 1.2 series (I still haven't upgraded because I'm waiting for the
code-base to stabalize before I add all my modifications)

Anyways, it would be realy nice to be able to have my CGI look at
the modified-since and just exit or something to avoid it searching
a bunch of stuff EVERY time someone hits the page.

I'm not sure if this is possible.. its been awhile since I've read the HTTP
spec but I seem to recall a different return code, so mod_cgi would have
to look for a special header w/ immediate close in order to send the
proper response code so the browser doesn't choke.

Just wondering.. it seems some CGI's can, and should, be smart enough to
say if the code they are about to generate needs to be generated again.

Any insight would be appreciated.

---
Jason S. Clary <jclary@futurefx.com>
http://www.futurefx.com/~jclary/