httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Neulinger <nn...@umr.edu>
Subject Re: idea - last-modified despite SSI - possible performance booster
Date Sun, 02 Feb 1997 01:39:52 GMT
At 12:41 AM +0000 2/2/97, Rob Hartill wrote:
>On Sat, 1 Feb 1997, Nathan Neulinger wrote:
>
>> By returning a timestamp with more of these documents, this could lead to a
>> major performance increase since the pages could be cached, whereas now
>> they can't be.
>
>You can use "Expires" and "Cache-Control" to make SSI document cacheable.
>Almost 100% of my HTML output is SSI parsed (again for standard includes
>but also to insert banner ads).
>
>For the standard includes (page footers), I added a PerlHandler
>(mod_perl) to cache the fixed messages at server startup then intercept
>the SSI requests for them so they get served from memory not disk. Dunno
>what it saves, but it gives warm fuzzies just thinking about it.

Wouldn't that only be usable from the main config files and by the web
admin? 95% of our web data consists of user pages (where user is a
student/employee/department/organization)

For the buffering problem, I was thinking more of whether buffering the
file and caching would use less CPU than the page being retrieved multiple
times. My other concern was that it be done transparently. Expires and
Cache-Control require active action on the users part.

-- Nathan

Nathan Neulinger                  Univ. of Missouri - Rolla
EMail: nneul@umr.edu                  Computing Services
WWW: http://www.umr.edu/~nneul      SysAdmin: rollanet.org