httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Neulinger <nn...@umr.edu>
Subject idea - last-modified despite SSI - possible performance booster
Date Sun, 02 Feb 1997 00:18:05 GMT
I've been wondering whether patching apache to do the following. On our
site, we have SSI turned on everywhere because we have very heavy use of
server side includes for footers and standard format blocks of text, etc.

One thing I'd like to have considered is whether or not it would be
possible to modify the SSI parsing and such to provide a modification time
stamp when it is possible to do so instead of arbitrarily never including
it when the file has been parsed for SSI.

By returning a timestamp with more of these documents, this could lead to a
major performance increase since the pages could be cached, whereas now
they can't be.

For example, consider the following cases:

---
1. SSI is on for the file (it's a text/html file), but the file doesn't
contain any SSI directives.

Obviously in this case, there is no reason that the last modification date
of the file couldn't be returned.

---
2. File with a ssi directive to include another file that contains no ssi
directives

In this case, the last modification date returned should be the more recent
of the parent document or the included file.

---
3. File with a ssi directive to include a file that also has ssi directives
to include some non-ssi files.

Just as in #2, return the most recent timestamp.

---
4. File with a #echo, #exec, #include of a command, etc., or a file that
#includes a file that does one of those.

In this case, don't return a timestamp, since it changes every time.

--------

-- Nathan

Nathan Neulinger                  Univ. of Missouri - Rolla
EMail: nneul@umr.edu                  Computing Services
WWW: http://www.umr.edu/~nneul      SysAdmin: rollanet.org