httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ed Korthof ...@organic.com>
Subject lingering_close and performance
Date Mon, 17 Feb 1997 18:27:42 GMT
Sorry I've been uninvolved for the past week and a half; I've been too
busy to deal with the topics going on effectively.  I like the solutions
to the lingering_close problem which I've seen discussed here; for all
that I think the performance hit is a potential problem (20% is not
overstating it under certain conditions), functionality is also relevant.

One thing comes to mind about the SIGHUP problem I've been seeing -- it
appears that it may go away when Apache is compiled with NO_LINGCLOSE.  I
can't test this easily, because none of the servers I administer have
sufficient relative traffic (this problem was easy to reproduce under high
traffic, but almost non-existent under low traffic).  But someone (I can't
seem to find the mail) mentioned possible problems in some version of
lingering_close, and I figured I'd mention it.  If there was a problem in
l_c where SIGHUP was blocked, this would explain why and when the bug
occured, as well as why it isn't reproducible except under high load.

Also, earlier I said I'd work on a generalized way to avoid multiple calls
to mod_browser's parse_headers_browser_module -- I believe the attatched
patch does so.  Other modules should be able to make use of the same
functionality as described in the comments; this should also work when
Apache runs as an inetd daemon.  I've tested it an it appears to work
fine.  Nice work cleaning up the loop in child_main, btw -- it's much
cleaner. :)

     -- Ed Korthof        |  Web Server Engineer --
     -- ed@organic.com    |  Organic Online, Inc --
     -- (415) 278-5676    |  Fax: (415) 284-6891 --