httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: ZD do it again!
Date Thu, 27 Feb 1997 20:53:00 GMT
On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
> > Wasn't in the store here when I checked.  I have no problem with reviewers
> > saying you have to have half a clue to make Apache work.  I have no
> > problem with them saying it does not include all sorts of gee-whiz gizmos.
> > However, I am concerned about the results they are getting performance
> > wise.  While there is certainly a hit due to Apache not being
> > multithreaded, in my tests against Zeus with the right server setup Apache
> > kept up with Zeus pretty well, and Zeus is probably on par or better than
> > MS and NS's servers.  Largely because of the process per client model of
> > Apache, setting the server up correctly is more important than with a
> > threaded server because if it is done incorrectly it will be forking far
> > too often.
> > The actual numbers are not on the web, and they may have more information
> > validating their methods in the article, but it looks quite bogus to me.
>
> We need a web server olympics - an event where each vendor can spend $5000 on
> hardware to build their dream machine, tune it as much as they like, and then
> each submits a set of tests to be applied to all servers.
>
> Or if the point is that a server should be speedy without requiring a lot of
> clue as to how to configure the server and machine, perhaps give an "average
> Joe webmaster" the task of installing and configuring it.
>
> This could be really cool, particularly as an in-person event.  Hmm!

On a related topic, there was some talk a while back about putting
out a CD with FreeBSD+Apache on it in such a way that it was easy to
turn a slab of Pentium hardware into a ready to run web-server with the
minimum of user intervention.

...hmmmm

The Oscars(R) are coming.. http://us.imdb.com/Oscars/oscars_1996
			.. no hype, just the facts.