httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject order deny,allow -- maybe FAQ? (fwd)
Date Wed, 26 Feb 1997 15:50:16 GMT

not acked

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 07:05:12 +0100
From: Juergen Christoffel <Christoffel@gmd.de>
To: apache-bugs@mail.apache.org
Subject: order deny,allow -- maybe FAQ?

Hi all,

I'm trying to configure our Apache server and I have problems with the
online documentation in http://www.apache.org/docs/mod/directives.html

What I'm trying to do is to allow access from our site but deny access
for machines from a specific subdomain because these are guests which
should not access various internal pages. I have used the following
setup for our site gmd.de where the guests are under technopark.gmd.de

# limit access for http:*/intern to GMD only (JC)
<Directory /files1/apache/htdocs/intern>
AllowOverride None
Options ExecCGI
<Limit GET POST>
order deny,allow
deny from all
deny from .technopark.gmd.de
allow from .gmd.de
allow from .bai.de
</Limit>

The documentation states that "The order directive controls the order
in which allow and deny directives are evaluated." What exactly does
"evaluated" mean here? How are they evaluated? Different servers have
different schemes to evaluate access rules, some match the first rule,
some the last one some the most specific. What does Apache do?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who tries to do something more complex
than the trivial examples for order, deny, allow show. So I'd like to
suggest that you add a slightly more complex example to the
documentation.

Cheers, JC

--
   E-Mail: christoffel@gmd.de or one of {ftp,news,web}master@gmd.de
   GMD - German National Research Center for Information Technology

GMD pays for my technical expertise. My opinions probably scare them...