httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject suggestion for apache documentation (fwd)
Date Tue, 25 Feb 1997 22:35:12 GMT

not acked

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 1997 16:11:51 -0500 (EST)
From: David J MacKenzie <djm@va.pubnix.com>
To: apache-bugs@apache.org
Cc: djm@va.pubnix.com
Subject: suggestion for apache documentation

A question that comes up every month or so here is: how do nested
.htaccess files interact?  For example, if a request is for /a/b/c.html
and both /a/.htaccess and /b/.htaccess exist, what happens?
The possibilities are:

1.  Only /a/.htaccess is used.
2.  Only /b/.htaccess is used.
3.  The union of the two is used, with /a/.htaccess taking priority in
    the case of conflict (such as both specifying AuthUserFile).
4.  The union of the two is used, with /b/.htaccess taking priority in
    the case of conflict.

By experimenting, I have concluded that case 4 is what happens.

One of our webmasters just asked if they could require valid-user
in /a/.htaccess but have /a/b/ be an unrestricted public directory.
I don't see a way to undo a previously defined require, so I concluded
that doing this is impossible.  It would help if the apache manual
addressed these questions directly.