httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Re: META revisited
Date Mon, 24 Feb 1997 20:15:43 GMT
On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:

> A long, long time ago, I brought up the question of HTTP-EQUIV META tags. I
> was told at the time that this is a client-side thing. However, this does not
> appear to be the case. Firstly, the HTML 3.2 spec clearly says that this tag
> should be used by servers, and secondly, Netscape at least do not process it at
> the client end (as far as I can tell).
>
> Standards-wise, this is somewhat unfortunate - should this really be in the
> HTTP spec? Anyway, the question is, does anyone have any views? Should we
> support this?

It makes far more sense for the CLIENT to parse the HTML for META
since there's more spare cpu cycles on clients than servers, and the
clients already have to parse the HTML anyway.

Should Apache support it ?, support - yes, as part of the core - no.

It's a trivial module to write (I have one for mod_perl), but it's
definitely not for everyone.