httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Need Help (fwd)
Date Fri, 14 Feb 1997 01:32:16 GMT

A new low in luser competence...

(acked)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 10:22:27 +0900
From: "Charles J. Payne" <charles@nrs.co.jp>
To: apache-bugs@apache.org
Subject: Need Help

Hi guys--

I read all the stern warnings about sending configuration questions to you,
BUT--

	1.)  I am a new user; and

	2.)  I have nowhere else to turn to

I am having some problems understanding some of the instructions on your
Web site regarding the installation / configuration of Apache..

I have made several attempts at this (and yes, I have already posted my
concerns to the comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix group); however, I have
not had any response yet and I really need to get things going regarding
this Apache program.

Here's the deal:  I think that I am actually fairly close to getting it up
and running.  I have followed the instructions in the src/ install file
regarding the creation of the http binary file--but it just seems to stall
out at the configuration stage.

I checked the settings in the Configuration file for my Sun / Solaris and
ran the configure script.  I get the following message

		+ configured for Solaris 2 platform

That's all.  Nothing more.

WHAT (pray tell) is the next step?!?!

According to the Install file, there should be a "Makefile" created...?  It
is not entirely clear to me what's going on (e.g. what I should be seeing
next).  Likewise, the documentation doesn't exactly spell this out for you,
although the steps UP TO this point were very clear.

Now, maybe it's a minor point (perhaps it's user hand-holding in your
opion) but I need some help here, and fast.  Please, PLEASE don't blow me
off--and don't flame me(!).  All I'm asking for is a little bit of help
that I can't seem to get anywhere else.  I am trying everything that I can
to help myself.

If I can get this ironed out (and if Apache works as well as it is supposed
to) you will have won a supporter for sure.  I look foward to hearing some
nice, friendly, helpful hints soon.

Thanks!

Charles J. Payne