httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: server dies if one vhost can't be resolved
Date Sun, 16 Feb 1997 11:37:09 GMT
Actually, see my rant about DNS and security from last year :)  It was
condensed into some notes in about using DNS for vhosts can be insecure...
although it might not be in your setup.  Essentially the example I gave
was a website provider with customers A and B.  B does their own DNS.  If
the provider uses www.A.com and www.B.com in the <virtualhost> statement
then B can steal A's address depending on the ordering of the statements
simply by changing DNS.  This is facilitated by the fact that vhosts are
searched last to first.

At any rate, I'm not sure what the two line fix would be... I guess you
could just stick 0.0.0.0 in as the address and assume it wouldn't ever
match it.

Dean