httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject roy's l_c perf patch and spareservers
Date Sat, 15 Feb 1997 03:19:27 GMT
I put Roy's l_c perf patch on HotWired's servers for a few hours... but
the FIN_WAIT_2s flew through the roof, so I had to go back to
-DNO_LINGCLOSE.  (IRIX 5.3).  There was some speculation that this might
help the FIN_WAIT_2 situation, but it doesn't look like it.  As far as
performance goes I didn't really get a chance to compare, I'll try again.

One idle thought I had was that we might try playing with the order of
things -- do the shutdown(sd,1) after a select() timeout or a successful
read().

The other thing I found, just like Chuck said a while back, I played with
the Min/MaxSpareServers settings and removed all the huge spikes from my
load averages.  The change in load *could* be related to locality of
reference in the L2 cache, but I'm not convinced that is the only thing.
We're talking a difference of 50% vs 20% "cpu usage" as reported by the
status module.  (I'd really like to revamp status to do 5 minute rolling
averages.)

Dean