httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: cvs problems...
Date Fri, 14 Feb 1997 00:54:30 GMT
On my laptop I run ssh-agent in my .xsession (and moved the rest of my
.xsession to .xsession-part2).  Then I run "ssh-add </dev/null" which
causes it to pop up a window to ask for my passphrase... and my window
manager makes sure that window is always on top.  Once I've done that the
agent has my passphrase and I move all over the place with ease.

The agent is tunnelled along with your connections, which means that you
essentially "carry" your credentials with you.  This is great if all the
systems can be trusted, you should disable it for others.  I use it a lot
when transferring files between two remote hosts that don't intrinsically
trust each other, but because they both trust my laptop scp works just
fine between.

It really is a charming system.

I wish the win32, pay $100 client was remotely as nice.  It isn't.  (no
agent, and no scp program, so it's like PAINFULLY DIFFICULT to transfer
files).

One thing that would make ssh an order of magnitude more useful would be a
tcp-only filesharing protocol.  tunnel tunnel tunnel.  Then not only would
my rlogin and X be encrypted... but I'd get transparent encrypted
filesharing as well.

Dean