httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject SO_LINGER test results
Date Mon, 10 Feb 1997 00:15:55 GMT
Ok so I decided to try tinkering with SO_LINGER.  I figured that I should
be able to test if an OS supports it "properly" by writing a simple server
that writes two packets, spaced apart.  In between the two I disconnect
the client from the network.  So the second packet is definately going to
be in the queue still on the server when the close happens.  Then I print out
all the time stamps involved and see if the server gets control after the
linger timeout.

I wanted to set the linger timeout to 10 seconds, but get this:

    IRIX and BSDI man pages and header files make no mention of what
    unit of time the l_linger field is in.

    Solaris man pages say l_linger is in seconds.

    Linux man pages say l_linger is in hundredths of seconds.

So for everything but linux I used l_linger = 10, and linux I used
l_linger = 1000.

If my test is correct, the results are pitiful:

    IRIX 5.3:
    IRIX 6.2:
	blocks the calling task in close() but definately doesn't respect
	the 10 second timeout

    Solaris 2.5.1:
    Linux-2.0.27:
	Don't block the task; socket is put into FIN_WAIT_1 and it sticks
	around a lot longer than 10 seconds.

    BSDI 2.1:
	works properly

I'm including the test program.  Here's the sequence for using it:

    0. On the server, tweak the l_linger setting appropriately.  Then
	"gcc test-linger.c" (you might need to add -lnsl -lsocket).

    1. ./a.out

    2. On the client "telnet serverip port#" and watch the first packet
	arrive.  Now disconnect the client from the network.

    3. The server will send the second packet, and go into close().
	When it's done with the close() it'll say so... every line is
	stamped with time(0).

Can someone tell me if this procedure is correct?

Dean