httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Novel way to kill Apache
Date Thu, 06 Feb 1997 20:05:30 GMT
It can happen on a lot of unixes in my experience.  In fact, all the ones
that let you scribble into a running executable (i.e. they don't lock the
executables).  That includes BSD*, linux, solaris, and IRIX.  But some of
them probably ship with ld that unlink the old executable and create a new
inode for the new one, (or gnu ld does this, I don't remember).

Dynix/ptx won't let you rm a running executable, you have to rename it.
That's the only oddball I've ever worked with though.

Dean