httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject updated 1.1 pipelining performance results
Date Thu, 06 Feb 1997 19:44:45 GMT
The libwww-5.1 bug which was causing pipelining to not work with Apache
has been fixed.  Henrik took 1.2b7-dev plus my performance patches (both
the chunked and the directory_walk() patch) and ran a bunch of tests.  So
far only the LAN results are in, but they look really good:

http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Protocols/HTTP/Performance/summary.html

You can get xplot from <ftp://mercury.lcs.mit.edu/pub/shep>, the plots
come back with mime-type application/x-xplot.  If you're interested in
tinkering with tcp/ip performance this is a really cool tool, you'll have
to read the thesis paper mentioned in the README though to understand the
plots.

One other result shown in this test was that using "Content-Encoding:
deflate" resulted in a 14% speedup (remember this is LAN).  The files were
pre-compressed.  I don't think we support negotiation by encoding yet, do
we?  BTW, it might be time to update the "AddEncoding x-gzip gz" to
"AddEncoding gzip gz" (and similarly for .Z) as per HTTP/1.1.

Dean