httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Manual pages
Date Tue, 18 Feb 1997 12:29:04 GMT
As we are getting near a release (non-beta) I have been looking at the
documentation that is distributed. We do include a (basic) man page for
httpd but it is out-of-date and slightly misleading. I've updated it for
1.2.

Am I the only person that still uses Unix manual pages? I think they are
quite important for Unix applications and I certainly like to see them in
stuff I download from the net. I'd like to see all the programs
distributed with Apache having manual pages... in particular, things like
htpasswd and dbmmanage which are likely to be used by real users as well
as the person who downloaded the distribution. So I've also created a
manual page for htpasswd. If anyone else thinks this is a good idea I'll
create one for dbmmanage and dbmmanage.new as well. None of these programs
are documented in htdocs, by the way.

Oh, and I think it would be nice if there was a top-level install target
which installed the programs, man pages and created a server root (I was
never very keen on the NCSA model of running the server from the same
directory it was compiled in). Not for 1.2 though.

Anyway, the main changes to the httpd manual page are:

 - remove implication that inetd is the best way to start httpd
 - add -h and -l options
 - warn that paths in the manual page might be wrong
 - make httpd a section 8 command
 - change the copyright to The Apache Group

The attachments are a patch for the roff source and a formatted version.
Also included here is a manual page for htpasswd as roff source and
formatted.

//pcs