httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: MSIE + byteranges
Date Mon, 17 Feb 1997 00:55:12 GMT
On Sun, 16 Feb 1997, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> Yeah, I know why they do it, but so what?  What is the likelihood that
> they are Mozilla-compatible and yet don't accept multipart/x-byteranges
> instead of multipart/byteranges?  I find it far more likely that a
> Mozilla-compatible user agent will suffer the same bugs as Netscape,
> if for no other reason than the fact that they code based on
> Navigator's input/output rather than reading the specs.  This is obviously
> the case for Microsoft, so I see no reason not to assume it for the rest
> of the clones.  Besides, it is more efficient to do only one table
> lookup instead of two.

Marginally. But the way Apache's designed, it does more table lookups
than there are grains of sand in the Sahara. It's not terribly
efficient in that manner. I daresay adding one more won't make one
whit of difference.

[...]

> >Or, to put this another way: are you vetoing the patch I introduced
> >earlier (which takes out the quotes, adds a check for MSIE, but leaves
> >the Netscape-check as is, with Request-Range) assuming I change it to
> >"MSIE 3", or are you just complaining about it?
>
> Just seeking improvements (i.e., complaining).  I am not shy about
> using a veto when I think it is warranted, but it isn't in this case.
> I support the other aspects of the fix.

Well, I'm not convinced you're right... but I'm not sure you aren't. Does
anyone else have an opinion? There are enough +1 votes to commit the
patch; i.e. checking Request-Range for Netscape, looking at User-Agent
with MSIE 3 for Internet Explorer, but I'm wary about doing so if
there isn't consensus that it's the right solution.