httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: MSIE + byteranges
Date Sun, 16 Feb 1997 05:51:41 GMT
On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Jason S. Clary wrote:

> erm.. why not just check every mime content type for [0]='x' [1]='-'
> and strip
> it off.. since these idiots intend to continue being idiots it would
> save
> some energy by just removing the x- to begin with before doing any
> negotiation.
> I wouldn't modify it.. I'd just compare against &[2] so that SSI and
> CGI get
> them the way the browser sent them.
>
> Wouldn't that fix alot of the worry over the existence, or
> non-existence, of x- headers?
> how long (cpu wise) does it take to check equivalency of 2 bytes,
> anyways? ;P

Um...  I'm unclear on what this has to do with the problem at hand. In
general, experimental media types are not a problem. As long as
Macromedia wants to keep Director's file format proprietary, for
example, application/x-director chould probably remain that
way.

And multipart/byteranges is a content type that's associated with a
document. It's generated by the protocol layer in the server, and send
to clients as a wrapper of a normal media type. The problem is that
some clients coded to an earlier, draft, spec, and expect
multipart/x-byteranges instead, and don't understand
multipart/byteranges.