httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Apache's byteranges support (fwd)
Date Wed, 12 Feb 1997 22:45:01 GMT
On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, Rob Hartill wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Feb 1997, Alexei Kosut wrote:
>
> > Sure... IMHO, using the User-Agent header for feature identification
> > is like determining whether or not a car has 4-wheel drive by looking at
> > the license plate frames. (feel free to quote me on that)
>
> > Anyone have any good suggestions?
>
> Offer them something they really don't want ?  ...
>
> "Okay we'll look for 'MSIE' in the User-Agent and switch off the problem
> features so that none of your users can use them. Let us know when
> you've fixed the problem so we can undo this".

This is not a solution. Microsoft *is* fixing the problem in IE 4.0
(at least, that is my understanding), just like Netscape is fixing the
problem in Navigator 4.0. The problem is what to do about IE 3.0,
which is broken. We were able to work around the Navigator problem due
to detectible quirk in Navigator's implementation. THere is no quirk
in IE, so the only way to determine it is by looking at User-Agent.

And "fixing" vs. "switching off" in this case amounts to the same
thing: one line of code, and correct behavior in all cases. Since it's
an optional protocol enhancement, not a user-level feature, the user
won't really notice whether it's working correctly or not at all
(except for download times). I want to avoid looking at User-Agent
entirely. Your suggestion is identical to theirs in this regard.