httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Apache's byteranges support
Date Wed, 12 Feb 1997 02:01:47 GMT
On Tue, 11 Feb 1997, Anthony Lam wrote:

> Thanks for your time looking into this.

Thanks for getting in touch with us, and responding.

> Let me stated what's the current browsers crop is doing and then you can
> decide what you should change or not.

[...]

> If you test out Netscape 3.0 successfully with 1.2b6, then seems like
> Netscape can handle the "" in the content type header.
> Unfortunately Internet Explorer 3.0/3.01 does not.  They're following the
> latest HTTP 1.1 spec http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Protocols/rfc2068/rfc2068.txt:

>    --THIS_STRING_SEPARATES
>
> and THIS_STRING_SEPARATES in the content-type header does not include "".
> In fact,  all the other web servers we tested against, including IIS 2.0,
> Netscape Enterprise and FastTrack, they all don't include "" in the header.
> Since Internet Explorer is becoming very popular, I strongly suggest
> removing the "" from your content-type header.

Well, it should be pointed out that section 19.2 simply defines
multipart/byteranges in relation to the MIME specification, and the
example is just that - an example.

However, if Internet Explorer really does not like the quotes, Apache
can remove them. Our boundary strings are alphanumeric only, so they
don't need to be quoted, although (as I said), the MIME spec
reccomends it.

> Netscape 3.0 is sending Request-Range and expecting multipart/x-byteranges.
> They're using the old pairs.
> Internet Explorer 3.0/3.01 and Acrobat is sending Range: and not Request-Range:,
> but they're expecting multipart/x-byteranges instead.  So somehow they're
> out of sync.  This is a tough call.  I know you want to comply with the
> latest spec.
> But that's mean all the current IE 3.0 users cannot view PDF files on Apache
> servers.

Hmm. I downloaded IE 3.0 for the Mac (I don't personally have access
ot a Windows machine, so cannot test that), and that was not my
experience. Specifically, IE did not send Range:, or any other header,
but instead tried to use the very old version of the spec; attaching
the range request to the URL, with a semicolon seperator. No server
that I'm aware of correctly processes this anymore. When it gets the
404 back from the server, it retries without the range, but then
somehow never passes the response onto the plugin. So that's very
odd. I will likely contact Microsoft about this.

However, assuming your description applies to the Windows version of
IE 3.0 (which I personally have no way of testing), I'm not sure what
can be done. As I said before, the Apache Group generally feels strongly
about adhering to the HTTP specifications, and any change of this
nature may not be in keeping with that policy.

I'll have to consult our standards cop about this.

[...]

> Please let me know what your decision are and is this something you can put
> in your b7 release?

1.2b7 will certainly be compatible with Navigator, as I described, and
will likely have the quotes removed from the Content-Type string. As
for IE compatibility, I can't yet say, but I'll keep in touch.

Thanks!