httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject arrgh... byteranges and MSIE
Date Tue, 11 Feb 1997 04:42:04 GMT
Okay... I downloaded MSIE 3.0b2 for the Mac, and tried to figure out
what the hell it does with regard to byteranges. I must admit, I don't
know what the heck it's thinking..

(I also discovered that MSIE 3.0b2 hangs if it receives a 406
request... 404 works fine. But a 406 causes it to
hang. Whoopie. Wonder if the Windows version does the same).

Anyhow, MSIE doesn't send Request-Range, as Navigator does. It doesn't
even send Range. It uses the very original Luotonen/Franks draft
method of attaching the range syntax onto the URL!!!! When Apache
gives it a 404 error, as it should, MSIE rerequests normally, and
receives the complete request, but somehow never passes it onto the
plugin. If I hit Refresh, it does a conditional GET check, and it then
works for a second (the PDF file appears in my window) - but then it
tries to do another URL-style range check, and the PDF file goes away.

In short, it's all screwed up. Somebody want to check the Windows
version of IE 3.0 for me? (since I only have access to a Mac). I'm
going to fill out a bug report about this and the 406 thing, but does
anyone happen to have any contacts at Microsoft we could bug about
this?

*sigh*