httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: [BUG]: "No support for byte ranges ("Range")" on Solaris 2.x (fwd)
Date Mon, 10 Feb 1997 07:18:45 GMT
On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, mjb@oneworld.owt.com wrote:

> I have written a program which uses byte-range requests to
> support resuming file downloads.
>
> The response header I'm seeing indicates your server is not
> recognizing the instruction for byte-ranges.
> (My program does work w/ Microsoft's web servers.)
>
> If you want to use it to test, my program is at:
> http://www.headlightsw.com/

You have not provided nearly enough information to diagnose this
problem, if it is one. I suspect that you may be requesting byteranges
for documents that do not support them; Apache sends an
"Accept-Ranges: bytes" header with any entity that it will
byteserve. Is it sending them for the documents you have tried?

Apache implements byteranges exactly as specified in the HTTP/1.1
specification, RFC 2068, which you can find
http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/ - this support has been
thoroughly tested, and works fine with other byterange applications,
such as Adobe's PDF plugin for web browers (though it should be noted
that Netscape Navigator does have a bug that prevented Apache from
serving PDF files in a way Navigator could read - Apache 1.2b7 and
later will contain a workaround for this, and Navigator 4.0b2 will
contain a fix as well.)

In addition, your docs seems rather self-serving and self-centered. The
fact is, most FTP servers have had the capability to server partial
files for years, wheras the capability was only recently introduced to
HTTP, which explains your 'discovery' that more FTP servers support
partial requests than HTTP.

Additionally, your idea is far from new. Most respectable FTP clients
(and by this I don't mean web browsers with built-in FTP browsers)
have supported resuming file transfers for as long as *I* can
remember, and even early beta versions of Netscape Navigator 2.0
resumed image downloads using a partial request where possible; this
feature was removed because Navigator's implementation of it had
problems, and it was never re-instated (I assume Netscape had other things
they had that took priority).

In short, your product is not new, not novel, and not needed. If
Apache really does have a bug, please give us specifics (not just
"it's broken because it doesn't work with my program"), and we will
fix it. However, I believe Apache works fine, and it is *your* program
that is misbehaving.

Thanks for using Apache!