httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject IP v. Host based virtualhosts
Date Sat, 08 Feb 1997 07:07:38 GMT
>From various bug reports and things, it seems Apache has trouble
determining what's real and what isn't when it comes to virtual
hosts. Now, this has always been iffy, and I imagine the changes in
1.2 to the <VirtualHost> functionality may have made it more vauge;
people are certainly having problems with it.

Now, the first time I wrote the Host-based virtual host code, for
Apache 1.1 (I ended up writing it four times; the fourth is what we
have now, although it's been since modified), I did not use the
<VirtualHost> section. I used a seperate section type, <HostAlias> (in
case anyone wondered about the origin of the name of the
check_hostalias() function, it comes from that). However a couple
people (I won't name names) insisted that we keep the <VirtualHost>
syntax, to make it "easy" for people to migrate from one type of
virtual host to the other (presumably because they'd only have to
change the DNS records, not the server config). Although at the time I
didn't really care one way or the other, in the year since, I've grown
more and more convinced that my original plan was correct, and I think
it would have prevented a lot of the problems and confusion that
resulted from the implementation that ended up in 1.1.

At any rate, I'm wondering if people think it might not be a good idea
to rethink this, to recode it as a seperate section (I perfer
<ServerAlias>, since it would have the same function as that directive
now, and is nice-sounding name) to clearly distinguish one type of
virtual host from another?

We could support the current scheme as well, but if the server thinks
that the user is putting a Host-based virtual host into <VirtualHost>
(using the same logic we use now), it would give a warning on startup
recommending he switch it over to a <ServerAlias> section, or check
his config or something.