httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Feature freeze?
Date Fri, 07 Feb 1997 01:23:05 GMT
On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

> Things are being held up here by "one more release" before...

Yes. Apache 1.2 was supposed to be done by August.

> I'm sure people who have been around longer than I have can tell great
> stories about what was to be the last release before 2.0.

1.1.0.

We can do 2.0 in the same amount of time as we can do 1.3 - with or
without the RST code, probably, though I'd rather use it if we
can. The Apache Group cannot do things quickly.

> What really has to be figured out is what do we have for a code base to
> start with?  Can RST's implementation be used?  If so, should it?  If not,
> who will be writing the alternative?  The base of it essentially has to be
> done by one or two people I think.

If RST's cannot be used, or even if it can, we need to divide the
"major enhancements" up, and probably assign someone to write the bulk
of the code and oversee it. We have at least these three:

1. Threading. RST's code has this. Otherwise I nominate Ben. He seems
   to be the most well-versed in threading and that sort of thing here.
2. I/O (filtering, stacked IO, mmaping files, whatever). RST's codes
   have done this, with sfio or bsdio. Anyone want to volunteer to
   coordinate this?
3. API enhancements. This includes additional phases, and new
   functions to go along with the new I/O stuff. RST's code didn't
   really have this, so we'll have to write it anyway. I'd like to
   manage this part of it, actually, if no one minds.

At any rate, I think 1.2 has at least one or two more betas left in
it. 1.2b6 and 1.2b7 have/will have a lot of minor changes in them that
should be tested. 1.2b7 may end up being the release candidate, but we
shouldn't advertiste it as such.