httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Server Alias works intermittently (fwd)
Date Thu, 06 Feb 1997 19:16:56 GMT
On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, Davon@web-depot.com wrote:

> Many (but not all) requests to the sever for files in an aliased
> directory fail.  It is as though the alias is only working some
> of the time.  The failed requests generate messages in the
> error_log which show attempts to access a directory that does not
> exist.  If the alias were working, the server should be looking
> for the files elsewhere.
>
> I can make the problem go away by adding the alias to the
> srm.conf file.  However, this should not be necessary.  and is
> generally the wrong thing.
>

> My server has several virtual hosts configured.  The last one
> configured (default since I have "ServerAlias *" in it) gets the
> errors.

Herein may lie your problem. ServerAlias only affects those requests
that contain a Host: header - our limited studies show this is 60%-80%
of the browsers  out there currently. Any other request will be served
by the main server. If you want it to work with all browsers, your
only options are to put the Aliases into the main server config, use
IP-based virtual host, not Host-header based ones, or use ServerName
(see http://www.apache.org/docs/host.html).

Thanks for using Apache!