httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject more PDF notes
Date Thu, 06 Feb 1997 05:10:30 GMT
All right... now I'm getting *really* annoyed with this.

At Adobe's web site
(http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/acrobat/byteserve.html), I found an
Apache module that Adobe wrote for Apache 1.1 to serve PDF files. I
compiled it (compiled fine) with the current 1.2, and tried it out. It
served PDF files to Navigator perfectly. This means that it's not the
HTTP/1.1 tag, the Server header, the date format, or anything like
that.

There are only a few diferences between what gets returned between a
PDF file returned from Apache 1.2's internal byte-server, and this
module. This includes a Content-type header that looks like this:

Wheras your basic Apache header looks like this:

Somehow, changing the line (and related boundary lines) to look like
the former makes Navigator happy, and it lets Apache serve PDF
files. However, any other variation doesn't work.

I find this very odd, especially since Netscape's own servers send
something nothing like this. They send multipart/mixed (neither is
correct, actually - multipart/byteranges is the correct value) , with
a space before the semi-colon, and a random number as the boundary (except
decimal, not hex) - much more like ours. And they seem to work.

So I must be missing something... in fact, I'm more confused than
ever.