httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <>
Subject Re: idea - last-modified despite SSI - possible performance booster
Date Sun, 02 Feb 1997 03:41:03 GMT
On Sat, 1 Feb 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> I would give a hearty +1 to a mod_include which could generate
> Content-Length for responses 32k (make this configurable) or less.  Some
> statistics... of 131000 ssi hits on one of hotwired's server, they
> averaged only 2444 bytes, all but 300 of them were less than 32k.  This
> together with Nathan's suggestions gets you cacheable ssi which is also
> HTTP/1.0 persistent.
> The worst part is eating cgi output, but that's not really that hard.

Assuming you use exec cgi/cmd. If you use include virtual, there's
really nothing we can do, because it could include *anything*. We'd
just have to dump the data to the client and pass it back to the main
server w/o a Content-length or Last-modified.

The way you'd really want to have includes work is as a filter instead
of a handler. We should be able to do this with Apache 2.0. In other
words, instead of reading in a file, it would simply sit on top of the
output stream of whatever module is generating data, and parse it for
SSI directives. It could also worry about headers (though there'd have
to be some mechanism in this "filter" API to allow the filter to have
access to data on subreqs - that could get tricky), and could parse
anything, not just plain files (including output from CGIs, which is
always a popular request).

But anyhow...

Alexei Kosut <>      The Apache HTTP Server

View raw message