httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: ZD do it again!
Date Thu, 27 Feb 1997 20:39:46 GMT
On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
> Wasn't in the store here when I checked.  I have no problem with reviewers
> saying you have to have half a clue to make Apache work.  I have no
> problem with them saying it does not include all sorts of gee-whiz gizmos.
> However, I am concerned about the results they are getting performance
> wise.  While there is certainly a hit due to Apache not being
> multithreaded, in my tests against Zeus with the right server setup Apache
> kept up with Zeus pretty well, and Zeus is probably on par or better than
> MS and NS's servers.  Largely because of the process per client model of
> Apache, setting the server up correctly is more important than with a
> threaded server because if it is done incorrectly it will be forking far
> too often.
> The actual numbers are not on the web, and they may have more information
> validating their methods in the article, but it looks quite bogus to me.

We need a web server olympics - an event where each vendor can spend $5000 on
hardware to build their dream machine, tune it as much as they like, and then
each submits a set of tests to be applied to all servers.

Or if the point is that a server should be speedy without requiring a lot of
clue as to how to configure the server and machine, perhaps give an "average
Joe webmaster" the task of installing and configuring it.

This could be really cool, particularly as an in-person event.  Hmm!

	Brian