httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Authentication over multiple servers?
Date Mon, 24 Feb 1997 00:38:41 GMT
On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, Mark J Cox wrote:
> Browsers like Netscape won't send password info they obtained from
> a.foo.com to b.foo.com; using the cookie auth won't help either.  There
> was talk a year or so ago of extending realms to cover multiple domains, I
> think Brian was involved with that?

I remember yammering on about this kind of thing several months ago but
realized it would be better to not try and extend Basic auth as we had all
expected digest auth to completely blow it out of the picture in a very short
amount of time.  Apparently that hasn't happened :/.  Does Digest auth have
this feature?  I remember there being another authentication protocol being
proposed, MDA (Mediated Digest Authentication), where authentication to one
server could be mediated by another, without password cooperation between those
servers.  With all the other authentication mechanisms being proposed and
implemented I simply got overwhelmed and decided to leave it to the experts.

	Brian