httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: idea - last-modified despite SSI - possible performance booster
Date Mon, 03 Feb 1997 02:37:04 GMT
On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Rob Hartill wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Feb 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>
> > Or better yet, an object cache - make a hash table where the key is the SSI
> > page's URL and the hashed value is mtime and SSI parameter locations.  The
> > server checks the mtime on each request, if it's not different it doesn't have
> > to parse the file.
>
> The way I use SSI, it's almost certain that the included file will change
> (rotating banners) from one request to the next. I also have hundreds
> of thousands of different pages to deal with. So it looks like no one
> solution is going to work for everyone.

Sure.  I guess "object cache" was imprecise - what I'd cache initially is just
the offsets of the SSI directives in the file, so that parsing can be avoided.
This is not a solution to "how to apply last-modifieds to SSI files" but
instead "how to speed up SSI serving".  The cache could be an mmap()'d stretch
of memory shared between processes, which gets cleared whenever a signal is
received.

> I did a test earlier today with the <!--#ssi-off --> patch and managed
> to get 25-100% better response times when I was able to mark the end of
> the SSI early in the HTML.

So this should be even better. :)

	Brian