httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.com>
Subject Re: Apache's byteranges support (fwd)
Date Wed, 12 Feb 1997 02:51:05 GMT

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 12:00:44 -0800
From: Anthony Lam <alam@Adobe.COM>
To: Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject: Re: Apache's byteranges support

Hi Alexei,

Thanks for your time looking into this.
Let me stated what's the current browsers crop is doing and then you can
decide what you should change or not.

>As far as I'm aware, Apache only quotes the string in the
>Content-Type header, not in the multipart body itself (if this is
>not true, and you could give me an actual example where it does not,
>that'd be much appreciated): quoting the delimiter here is perfectly
>legal according to RFC 2046 (MIME Part Two: Media Types), and section
>5.1.1 even strong reccomends putting boundary strings in quotes.
>
>If a browser is known to misbehave because of this, I will strongly
>consider removing the quotes. However, Navigator works fine (I have
>not yet had the opportunity to examine IE); see below.

If you test out Netscape 3.0 successfully with 1.2b6, then seems like
Netscape can handle the "" in the content type header.
Unfortunately Internet Explorer 3.0/3.01 does not.  They're following the
latest HTTP 1.1 spec http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Protocols/rfc2068/rfc2068.txt:

   --THIS_STRING_SEPARATES

and THIS_STRING_SEPARATES in the content-type header does not include "".
In fact,  all the other web servers we tested against, including IIS 2.0,
Netscape Enterprise and FastTrack, they all don't include "" in the header.
Since Internet Explorer is becoming very popular, I strongly suggest
removing the "" from your content-type header.

the delimiter in your multipart body is correct, no "".

>We have already been in contact with Netscape, and they have told us
>that Navigator 4.0b2 will correctly support multipart/byteranges. As I
>said earlier, I have not had a chance yet to look at Internet
>Explorer.
>
>As for back-compatibility with the current crop of browsers, version
>1.2b7 of Apache will contain a workaround for that: we discovered that
>Navigator sends a Request-Range header as well as a Range header,
>complying with the second Luotonen/Franks internet draft (I believe -
>it has expired, so I can't check correctly). So Apache 1.2b7 will,
>upon receipt of a Request-Range header, send multipart/x-byteranges
>instead of multipart/byteranges. This makes Navigator work correctly;
>we tested this thoroughly. Again, I have not had an opportunity to
>check Internet Explorer.

Netscape 3.0 is sending Request-Range and expecting multipart/x-byteranges.
They're using the old pairs.
Internet Explorer 3.0/3.01 and Acrobat is sending Range: and not Request-Range:,
but they're expecting multipart/x-byteranges instead.  So somehow they're
out of sync.  This is a tough call.  I know you want to comply with the
latest spec.
But that's mean all the current IE 3.0 users cannot view PDF files on Apache
servers.

>1.2b7 should be released shortly, although it is being held up by some
>problems unrelated to byteranges; the patch to 1.2b6 is, however,
>available at
>http://www.apache.org/dist/patches/apply_to_1.2b6/multipart-byte.patch
>should you wish to try it yourself.
>
>I should mention, however, that we will probably not make any changes
>to Apache that make it uncompliant with HTTP/1.1 (even for HTTP/1.0
>requests); making all byterange responses deliver
>multipart/x-byteranges would be included in this. That being said, we
>are committed to making Apache work with as many browsers as
>possible.

Please let me know what your decision are and is this something you can put
in your b7 release?

Thanks.

Anthony